To ensure the efficient and profitable operation of the service department, to achieve and strive to exceed all service targets, budgets and objectives through the management of the service team, resources, process efficiency and cost control. Lead, manage and motivate the service team to achieve high levels of performance and deliver excellent standards of customer satisfaction and retention. Contribute to the development of policies, plans, targets and budgets and proactively manage their implementation.
- Formulate and communicate service plans, targets, budgets, policies and procedures, aligning service processes to manufacturer requirements and ensuring consistent implementation.
- Oversee the sales of service products and services, parts and accessories through the service team, ensuring staff are suitably trained and familiar with features and benefits to the customer.
- Audit all administrative functions, returns, record keeping, reporting and administrative operations at the appropriate time and make sure these are kept up to date.
- Ensure warranty submissions are kept up to date and outstanding debts are kept to a minimum and within agreed limits.
- Ensure tools, equipment and other materials in the service department are correctly maintained and calibrated as required.
- Proactively take action where appropriate to improve aftersales operations.
- Establish adequate safety and security procedures to protect property and personnel.
- Monitor the general housekeeping of the service area, including customer areas, work areas and workshop in order to promote a professional image of the dealership.
- Develop strong working relationships with dealership staff, manufacturer representatives, suppliers, third parties and statutory representatives.
- Meet all deadlines as set by your line manager, the company or the manufacturer.
- Maintain high levels of customer satisfaction whilst maximising profits.
- Ensure that all customers are received promptly, courteously and professionally at all times.
- Contact each customer within one week and after 3 months of vehicle collection of their new or pre-owned vehicle to ensure complete satisfaction and to address/answer any queries.
- Maintain regular contact with all customers during their ownership of their vehicle.
- Develop a culture within service which breeds high standards of customer care and focus on customer retention.
- Monitor customer feedback and ensure systems exist to regularly review feedback, identify any trends and use the information to refine the service offered.
- Improve the quality of customer service and retention through enhancing facilities, improving personnel skills and ensuring high standards of workmanship.
- Handle dissatisfied customers calmly and in a timely manner, resolve complaints with sensitivity, and involve others when needed.
- Analyse company and/or manufacturer customer data reports, agreeing and overseeing the implementation of both positive and corrective actions.
- Introduce any new customers to other departments as appropriate.
- Respond promptly and within agreed timescales to any issues raised via the manufacturer, providing ongoing feedback.
- Ensure the service department is adequately staffed in order to achieve departmental objectives and provide a prompt service to customers, including recruitment and selection; defining department structure and job responsibilities; adherence to employment policies in line with employment legislation.
- Formulate key performance indicators and targets for direct reports, communicate and monitor performance to support achievement.
- Identify and continuously review training and development needs, ensuring suitable training, coaching and development solutions are provided and that records of training are maintained.
- Manage the performance of your team through regular performance appraisals, pay reviews and incentive schemes, in line with policy.
- Continually lead, develop and coach members of your team and where relevant, ensure that they do the same with their teams.
- Support and represent the whole dealership management team, working in partnership and promoting the benefits of other departments as required to achieve overall dealership success.
- Ensure the service department achieves, or where possible exceeds all targets and budget objectives through all service activities eg. labour, parts and material sales.
- Continuously monitor activities, analysing various data sources (such as management accounts, operating controls and composite figures) and initiate improvements where necessary.
- Ensure that departmental overheads, costs and expenses are minimised by controlling and utilising all resources effectively, including monitoring work in progress and recovery of any outstanding debts.
- Ensure all stocks and services purchased for resale are sold at profit.
- Carry out periodic reviews of pricing policies, labour rates and discounts.
- Ensure all payments are handled appropriately and within company policy.
- Plan, initiate, promote, measure and evaluate service marketing events, making use of dealership and manufacturer marketing initiatives.
- Capture market and competitor knowledge and feedback to the service team as necessary.
- Work closely with the sales department to maximise opportunities to gain service customers and to support broader parts and sales initiatives.
- Attend training as required or requested by the manufacturer, the dealership or the company.
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety, quality management, environmental and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure compliance with all dealership and company policies, manufacturer guidelines and wider legislation.
- Work in partnership with the manufacturer to support new initiatives and incentives.
- Undertake other tasks and responsibilities as requested.
Competency Requirements – Behavioural
Customer Service Distinction
Engages and delights customers through managing complex interactions and relationships and delivers exceptional levels of service through accurately identifying, meeting and exceeding customer needs.
Is aware of the strategic goals of the dealer/group and the business and makes sound decisions to contribute to them. Taking account of broader market factors and local opportunities also conditions.
Sets high personal standards of performance and is committed to achieving outstanding results for the business.
Leads in a thoughtful and considered way and modifies leadership style to motivate team members to perform as well as they can.
Engages and escorts customers through the sales journey, achieving outstanding outcomes through blending emotional intelligence, empathy and determination, underpinned by depth of product knowledge, market awareness and commitment to the brand.
Supports other team members and encourages their participation and engagement in the success of the team as a whole.
Outstanding Relationship Management
Builds mutually beneficial relationships with colleagues, business contacts and stakeholders, maintaining an effective network in order to maximise support and resources for the benefit of customers and the business.
Delivers maximum efficiency and productivity of the department by managing the workload, processes, people and resources effectively.
Takes responsibility for own and others’ learning and development and ensures that coaching and training are given for the improvement of performance at work.
Competency Requirements – Technical
Possesses up-to-date knowledge of the features and benefits of products and services and communicates them clearly to customers. Able to demonstrate sound technical understanding of the basic working of a motor vehicle, its component parts and their use, preferably specific to prestige brands. This may have been gained through academic, apprenticeship or on‐the‐job training or a combination of these.
Competent user of word processing and spreadsheet packages. Able to gain an understanding of service dealer management systems, in order to accurately input data, interrogate for key information and analyse for tracking purposes.
Able to analyse and interpret financial reports and data (eg. management accounts, composite, balanced scorecard) to aid target setting, control performance, identify key business vulnerabilities and opportunities and translate into tangible goals and actions.