- To accurately and skilfully undertake the repair and service of vehicles.
- To support the Service Manager in the running of the service facility.
- To detect and diagnose faults and establish work required.
- To deal with Customers directly in a customer facing role and fulfil all tasks to the customer’s complete satisfaction.
- To ensure all work is completed safely and complies with retailer, manufacturer and industry guidelines.
- Provide in Dealer coaching for technical team where necessary to develop team members and ensure the team has the correct level of knowledge to undertake daily duties
Objective: To accurately and skilfully undertake the repair and service of vehicles.
- Perform service and advanced diagnostic repair work in accordance with established and documented procedures, as well as conducting routing service work.
- Analyse work orders carefully and understand a vehicle’s condition, the accuracy of the diagnosis and what work has been agreed to.
- Maintain the highest standards of workmanship in line with the latest technical guidance and evolving technical practice.
- Document completed work orders, ensuring hours and materials used are accurately and appropriately recorded and all warranty material is kept.
- Minimise wastage of all materials, oils and fluids.
Objective: To support the Service Manager in the running of the service facility.
- Assist the Service Manager in scheduling and prioritising work, advising on service work requirements that affect service prioritisation and supervising the completion of jobs to ensure that the highest standards of workmanship are achieved.
- Assume a leading position within the Workshop and advise on work priorities.
- Act as a guide and mentor to junior level technicians, providing them with technical advice on work where required and assist the Service Manager with the induction of new staff.
- Be proactive in suggesting better ways of working as appropriate.
- Undertake all other tasks and responsibilities as requested by the Service Manager.
Objective: To detect and diagnose faults and establish work required.
- Test vehicles and provide diagnostic reports to the Service Manager and Service Reception.
- Observe, recognise and report on vehicle and component serviceability.
- Conduct pre-servicing booking discussions with customers and resolve any issues, using customer-facing skills to understand and interpret faults leading to an accurate diagnosis.
- Communicate to staff and customers over fault diagnosis in a clear, unambiguous way.
- Communicate with all other areas of the business affected by potential work placement e.g. Parts, Bodyshop, etc.
Objective: To deal with Customers directly in a customer facing role and fulfil all tasks to the customer’s complete satisfaction
- Meet customers at new vehicle handover, setting up the vehicle and demonstrating technical features to customers as required.
- Receive customers courteously, in line with quality standards.
- For post-service booking communicate clearly and unambiguously when explaining a fault diagnosis or work request.
- Safeguard and protect the customer’s vehicle and its contents while being repaired or serviced, ensuring adequate seat protection is used in every vehicle.
Objective: To ensure all work is completed safely and complies with retailer, manufacturer and industry guidelines.
- Ensure vehicles comply with industry safety standards when returned to customer and any faults have been reported and noted on the job card.
- Ensure all health and safety, environmental and recycling policies, plus all internal policies and procedures are adhered to, focusing on customer needs and building upon the professional reputation of the retail facility.
- Check the condition and ensure the correct maintenance of tools, equipment and other materials in accordance to company polity.
- Follow safe working practices and be proactive in suggesting possible improvements.
Objective: Provide in Dealer coaching for technical team where necessary to develop team members and ensure the team has the correct level of knowledge to undertake daily duties
- Where necessary provide technical support to other team members via coaching or mentoring techniques to ensure they can perform their daily duties to the standards required by retailer and manufacturer
- Help develop team members by advising team members on training solutions i.e. classroom based, distance learning programmes and in-dealer training
- Provide in-dealer basic training where necessary
Competency Requirements – Behavioural
Customer Service Distinction
Engages and delights customers through managing complex interactions and relationships and delivers exceptional levels of service through accurately identifying, meeting and exceeding customer needs.
Is aware of the strategic goals of the dealer/group and the business and achieves objectives in the job role to contribute to them.
Sets high personal standards of performance and is committed to achieving outstanding results for the business.
Supports other team members and encourages their participation and engagement in the success of the team as a whole.
Outstanding Relationship Management
Builds mutually beneficial relationships with colleagues, business contacts and stakeholders, maintaining an effective network in order to maximise support and resources for the benefit of customers and the business.
Delivers maximum efficiency and productivity by managing own workload, processes and resources effectively.
Takes responsibility for own learning and development and gives support to others where appropriate. Shares knowledge and expertise within the team to help develop them where required.
Competency Requirements - Technical
Possesses the required level of technical skill and knowledge, and has the ability to keep up with current developments and practices in these areas of expertise and actively coaches others.
Able to quickly gain an understanding of the dealership and manufacturer computer and recording systems in order to drive effectiveness whilst maintaining up to date working knowledge of databases, technical systems and computer packages.
Coordination of Work
Ability to direct others with clear and unambiguous instructions and a standard work process to perform tasks with in a stated time frame whilst checking for accuracy before completion of the task.
Knowledge of, and ability to train others, in the appropriate procedures for using specific tools, equipment or machines to meet defined quality and safety standards.
Safety and Health Compliance
Ability to demonstrate an understanding of applicable policies and procedures in order to maintain conditions that ensure a healthy and safe working environment for themselves and others.
- City and Guilds Part 3/NVQ Level 3 (or equivalent qualification) in Motor Vehicle Repair and Maintenance.
- Experience in vehicle repair and servicing acquired through academic, apprenticeship, manufacturer or on‐the‐job training or a combination of these.
- Current United Kingdom driving licence.